For the final I wanted to model an existing object and then use some of the tools in Rhino to transform it. I was, obviously, drinking coffee when the idea to model a simple coffee cup dawned on me.
I was inspired to “glitch” the object by this rendering of a dresser that’s been floating around for a while.
A few iterations of the cup with different glitch motifs.
Views of the final version.
Shaded version of the final model.
This week I moved away from modeling from the ground up to focus on modeling the ground from up above. I’m excited to see what the capabilities and limitations of Rhino’s Heightfield tool are.
I’m interested in creating serving dishes (or molds for serving dishes) that are direct representations of the source terrain that the food being served on them comes from. For this first experiment I’m imagining serving ceviche or a thinly sliced fish on top of a rippling water surface.
I pulled a image of water from Google Image Search as the source. And after processing with Heighfield, turning the surface into a sold and cutting out the outline it looked like this.
This circular cutout is 5.1″ in diameter and about 1″ from base to the top the surface. I thought it might take a little too long on the 3D printer to be worth it, so I used the 4-axis mill. Just to get a prototype in my hands. Now that I have an object to study I can think about what additional modeling features I could only get with 3D printing.
This week we’re designing and printing objects that “snap on” to other objects.
I like to have a pen handy. I’ll pull the classic pen-behind-the-ear move. Unless I’m wearing my glasses. In that case there’s just not room enough for the both of them behind my ear. So this week I designed and printed a pen holder that snaps on to the arm on my glasses for easy pen storage.
I started by modeling an approximation of the glasses arm. I measured the width and height using a caliper, but guesstimated the filleting that creates a pseudo-circular cross-section. The arm is slightly rounder towards the rear and maintains a more true rectangle shape closer to the front of the frame. I then copied this form, scaled it up, and subtracted the smaller form from the middle to give me the basic shape of my clamp.
Then I split the form to create two matching halves. Then I added a trapezoid that ran the length of one of the clamps and subtracted that from the matching rail. This would allow for a slide-on fit. Although later when I tried to reattach them around the frame, I realized that the tapered design wouldn’t allow for an easy slide. It worked, but could be improved. Also, I whipped up a simple pen holder to attach to the outside of the clamp.
A two-hour print job later…
This week I was thinking about multi-part prints. I began with what a simple design for an island topography. An imaginary island, that is. And I was hoping that the printed layers would be able to bring the fictional landscape to life in some way.
Meh. I think it does the job when photography tricks the eye with scale. Because of time constraints this was printed at less than a third of what I had originally wanted. Aside from the raft, which very nicely plays the part of the water surrounding the island, the whole print is only about an inch and a half at it’s longest point. The small scale also ruined the simple fit mechanism I had deigned so that the slices of topography would be slightly nested within each other and wouldn’t shift around. At this scale, however, the indentations were pretty much non-existent.
I’m doubling dipping here. This 3D printed map pin is this week’s project for both Design for 3D and Culinary Physics.
It fits within a 3″ x 3″ x 3″ cube (for now). Design for 3D: check.
And it’s also my Homunculus re: my relationship with food. When I’m eating something delicious I’m totally absorbed in the experience. A good bite provides all the sensory input needed to stick a pin in place and time – imprinting an ever-lasting when and where and with what flavors.
Culinary Physics: check.
In Rhino I created a few iterations of the design. Sort of my version of the ubiquitous “You Are Here” digital map pin.
Once the design was done I took it over to Makerbot, checked the settings, and exported a .makerbot file to a USB. (Nice custom file extension you guys! You deserve it.) A few button clicks on the Replicator 5 later I was off and printing.
After a little clean up with an Xacto blade (large one is about 60mm)…
Being able to turn a physical object over in your hands is a powerful thing. I think I probably missed out by not, at least, messing around with the Makerbots last year. As soon as I had this little guy in my hand I had ten new ideas. Hopefully we’ll have enough filament.